Facebook has yet to get rid of their sexist, gymnophobic policies, but they found time to remove older Windows and Android apps
Menlo Park, Calif. — The arrogance and incompetence of Facebook continues to be glaringly obvious.
Since we helped Laura Bates and Everyday Sexism report on #FBrape on May 22, 2013, Facebook has done nada to combat misogyny and excessive violent content on their site. Nor have they done anything to adjust, or get rid of, their arbitrary policies of removing non-sexual nude content (including breastfeeding photos and videos) on any of their sites.
However, they somehow found time to tell users on Android 4.x or lower and Windows Phone 8.x that the Facebook and Messenger apps will be deleted and rendered useless after Friday.
We will be ending support for messaging in some older mobile app versions of Messenger and Facebook. We have proactively reached out to those affected and have also offered suggestions right in Messenger. These include updating your app to the latest version, loading an OS update for your device or migrating to Facebook Lite. If your devices do not support the newest versions of Facebook, we recommend going to Facebook.com through your mobile browser.
By the end of March, we will be ending support for messaging on the following older mobile app versions:
- Facebook for Android v55, released on November 16, 2015, and below.
- Messenger v10, released on August 14, 2014, and below.
- Facebook for iPad v26, released on October 10, 2011, and below.
- Messenger v8, released on July 14, 2014, and below.
- Facebook for iOS, released on October 10, 2011, and below.
- Facebook for Windows Phone.
- Messenger for Windows Phone 8 and 8.1.
- Facebook for Windows 8 and 8.1 desktop app.
This is how people affected can keep in touch with their friends and family:
For people using Android:
- Versions older than 2.3 (Gingerbread) – Facebook.com through your mobile browser
- Version 2.3 (Gingerbread) – Messenger Lite or Facebook Lite where available, or Facebook.com through your mobile browser
- Version 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and above – Update to the latest app version
For people using iOS:
For people using Windows:
This move is something that will easily affect tens of millions of users, especially those on Android and Windows.