Cosby interrupted by hecklers after sexual assault allegations
77-year-old predator called out during Atlanta show
ATLANTA — Bill Cosby’s Far From Finished tour may be over.
But, he’s far, far from finished with the sexual assault allegations.
“It beats me how you treat — the way you treat women!” screamed a woman at Mr. Cosby 40 minutes into his performance in Atlanta on Saturday.
Just over 24 hours earlier, two new women, one of which starred as a guest on his self-titled sitcom, the Cosby Show, accused the 77-year-old disgraced comedian of sexually assaulting them.
Kaya Thompson, who was among those protesting his appearance, talked to local media and to the Atlanta cable media.
She met Mr. Cosby in 1988, when she was an underaged model, she said. He had been mentoring Ms. Thompson since 1987. In 1989, an unwanted sexual encounter with Mr. Cosby occurred at his New York City home, she said. The age of consent in New York is 17, which is why Mr. Cosby is not being investigated for child rape.
“Even at 17, it was then very clear what was expected of me,” said Ms. Thompson, now nearly 43. “I made a lot of excuses to get out of the house as quickly as I could, and I cried the whole way home.”
Ms. Thompson, whose account has previously been widely reported, was joined by her parents.
“We’re here primarily because Bill Cosby is a serial predator,” said her mother, Judy Thompson. “However, our tolerance of rape culture in this country is a bigger story.”
While Ms. Thompson was speaking to CNN, people who had attended the show shouted profane-laced obscenities at the protesters, telling them to go home.
Another woman accusing Mr. Cosby of rape, Lili Bernard, appeared as a guest star on the “Cosby Show”. She told USA Today that she has also turned to New Jersey police with her allegations that Mr. Cosby drugged and raped her in 1992. Unlike New York at the time Ms. Thompson was allegedly raped, there is no statute of limitations on rape in New Jersey.
Ms. Bernard stood in front of the venue, Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre, with other protesters. They held signs and shouted “Shame!” at the people heading into the show.
Ms. Bernard handed out copies of statements she made during a press conference the day before in which she spoke about coming forward after remaining silent out of fear.
“If I were to remain silent to the public,” said Ms. Bernard, “I would be enabling Bill Cosby’s criminal lifestyle. I would be enabling his duping of his adoring fans. I would be enabling the re-victimization of the courageous women who have stepped forward.”
Attorney Gloria Allred, who represents Ms. Bernard along with numerous other alleged Cosby victims, joined the protesters minutes after arrival.
“It’s very important that we’re here,” said Ms. Allred, “because this may be his last concert. This may be his last stand on his ‘Far From Finished’ 2015 concert tour and we’re not finished with Bill Cosby.”
To Brandy Betts, the fact that Mr. Cosby is still performing disgusts her.
“It’s not acceptable that a very powerful, popular, privileged, protected man has been able to perform, largely unstopped, and gain wealth and power while these women put together the pieces of their shattered lives,” she said.
With these allegations, a total of forty-one (41) women have now come forward with claims that Cosby sexually assaulted them. The accusations against Mr. Cosby span from 1963-2013, with most of the allegations taking place from 1975-1992. His accusers include a former Playboy Bunny and former model Janice Dickinson.
Okatie brothers arrested for child porn possession
BEAUFORT — Two Okatie brothers were arrested for possessing child pornography on April 29.
Officers from the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office cut warrants at an apartment at the Oldfield Mews Apartment. During the search, the brothers were found to be in possession of child pornography.
Vincent Holyfield, 24, of Okatie, was arrested at the residence, while Patrick Holyfield, 28, also of Okatie, surrendered to the Beaufort Police Office after work. They’re both charged with sexual exploitation of a minor in the third degree.
More charges are likely against the brothers.
The investigation is a cooperative effort between the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office and the South Carolina Attorney General’s Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force.
Johnston County man shoots, kills underaged girlfriend
WILSON’S MILLS, N.C. — The Wilson’s Mills Police Office has arrested a 42-year-old man and charged him with killing his girlfriend.
Wilson’s Mills Police deputies responded to 92 MITCHNER DR for a shooting call at approximately 2:40 Saturday.
When deputies arrived, they found the 18-year-old woman bleeding from a single gunshot wound to the chest.
Deputies and EMS workers tried to resuscitate the young victim, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
Deputies believe the suspect and victim were engaged in gunplay when the loaded firearm discharged. The shooting remains under investigation and charges against 42-year-old Derrick Williams could be added.
He is currently facing only one charge: second-degree murder.
According to arrest records, Mr. Williams is a convicted felon and has a history of drug and weapons charges.
Mr. Williams was arrested by the Wilson’s Mills Police Office and is being held in the Johnston County Jail under a $100,000.00 bond. His first court appearance was scheduled for today at the Johnston County Court House.