One woman raped during Orange Crush chaos

by jovan1984

Tybee mayor vows to shut Orange Crush down permanently

Today's News Briefs

TYBEE ISLAND, Ga. — Right about now, Mayor Jason Buelterman, who abjectly refused to allow a portion of the beach to be clothing-optional, needs to be re-thinking that option.

A bunch of fully-clothed people caused massive chaos during Orange Crush, the first since Georgia’s Guns Everywhere law was enacted.

The results?

Multiple shootings, other numerous acts of physical violence, and even one report of sexual violence.

Even as Mayor Buelterman is being pressed to allow a clothing-optional portion of the beach, he has other ideas – one of which is permanently shutting down Orange Crush.

WTOC went door to door to every business, some owners and employees telling the Savannah CBS affiliate that they had larger crowds this weekend than Independence Day, but made less money for reasons like shoplifting and less tips. One hotel owner said he stayed up all weekend because he was concerned about his safety.

John Zuercher and his wife were staying at Sky Suites for part of the weekend and said they couldn’t help but feel sorry for the owner.

“He told me in his little hotel like two people would check in and then the next morning, eight would come out of the room,” he said.

The hotel owner said he’s dealt with everything from cleaning vomit out of his parking lot to finding bullets in one of the hotel rooms. Many businesses are hoping this was the last year of Orange Crush.

There were 45 arrests on Thursday.

The mayor released this statement:

“The City of Tybee Island would like to thank the officers from our own Police Department and from all of our law enforcement partner agencies for their dedication to protecting our community during this past weekend. The willingness to risk their personal safety for the sake of others is worthy of our sincerest appreciation. We also would like to commend our volunteer fire fighters for all of their support as well as our City employees and all of the volunteers who cleaned the beach.

While the majority of attendees behaved responsibly, the risks to public safety posed by such large groups of young people under no responsible supervision have become unacceptable.

After approximately twenty five (25) years, we have reached a tipping point and going forward will be doing everything in our power to put an end to this event while, of course, maintaining a public beach for everyone. In order to prevent a recurrence of the island-wide threat to public safety that occurred this weekend, the City will be creating a task force of local and state officials as well as local residents and business owners whose charge will be to make specific recommendations that could include banning of alcohol on the beach during such events, enlisting an even heavier law enforcement presence, utilizing solutions developed by other beach communities that are faced with similar challenges, and other possible solutions. We will also work with our partners at the federal level to seek their input and assistance.

We look forward to working with our community and our partners at all levels of government to address this challenge in a responsible manner.

Finally, we are keeping the victim of Saturday’s gun violence in our thoughts and prayers and hope that he has a speedy recovery.”

Folly Beach was among the first of the Tri-State beach municipalities to outlaw alcohol entirely. Tybee Island is studying their ordinances in hopes of passing their own ban.

Man arrested after woman he met on Kik goes missing

LINCOLNVILLE — A 30-year-old man has been arrested as officers continue to search for a woman he met on Kik.

Officers with the Dorchester County Sheriff’s Office arrested Edward Primo Bonilla, 30, and charged him with obstruction of justice.

Officers told Live 5 News in Charleston that foul play is likely.

The victim, a 28-year-old mother of three, went missing on April 4, just hours after meeting Mr. Bonilla on Kik.

Like so many of us, the victim visited social media and dating sites often.

Kik is one of the few very popular social media applications available for all four mobile operating systems: Google’s Android, Blackberry, Apple’s IOS and Microsoft’s Windows Phone.

Call the Dorchester Sheriff’s Office if you have more information about this case.

Pregnant person gunned down in Wake County

RALEIGH — A man was in court today after being arrested this past weekend for murdering his pregnant girlfriend.

Daniel Joseph Steele, 25, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of the victim, who was also the same age.

The victim’s fetus was saved.

The victim called 911 to report the shooting, telling the dispatcher “I’ve been shot.” After giving her location, she said, “I can’t talk.”

When the dispatcher asked what happened, the victim’s last words on this Earth was, “He shot me.”

Mr. Steele was remanded to jail without bond earlier today.

Advertisements