Abusive Hampton County man convicted of murdering ex-girlfriend
Hampton man convicted of murdering ex-girlfriend
BEAUFORT — A thirty-four year-old abusive Hampton man will now spend a minimum of forty-five years in prison with no chance of parole after he was found guilty of murdering his ex-girlfriend and dumping her lifeless body in a river in Beaufort.
Judge Maite Murphy sentenced Kelvin Jackson, 34, of Hampton, to 45 years in prison without the possibility of parole. That is effectively a life sentence, given the fact that the life expectancy of African-American men is around 71.
Earlier in the day, Mr. Jackson was convicted of murdering his ex-girlfriend after she informed him of her intentions to leave him for good.
“I’m very pleased with the verdict and pleased for the family,” said Deputy Solicitor Sean Thornton. “Jackson is a very dangerous man, and he deserves every day of the sentence the judge gave him.”
The woman was last seen alive on May 25, 2011 at her Hampton residence along Middle St. She was found five days later, dead at the Broad River in Beaufort by a fisherman.
Mr. Jackson killed the woman in Hampton County, and disposed of her body in Beaufort County.
The trial was moved to Beaufort County.
This is what justice for a domestic violence victim looks like: No parole at all for this violent offender and father of the kids whose mother he slain.
Tourist players charged with rape make first court appearance, faces life term
ASHEVILLE — Two twenty-three year-old players charged with raping a woman late last night made their first court appearance this morning.
Michael Mason and Jesse Meaux, both 23, are charged with two counts of rape and 2 counts of first degree sexual offense.
* trigger warning begins *
An affidavit reports that the two Tourist players sexually assaulted the victim, then held her down and performed multiple acts of intense sexual assault on her while she was pinned down at their ASCOT POINT CIR apartment.
Drugs and alcohol were involved.
* trigger warning ends *
Mr. Meaux was released from jail on $100,000.00 bond. It is unknown whether Mr. Mason bonded out.
The judge told the duo that a sentence of life with no chance of parole is possible if they are convicted, and ordered the players to stay within the boundaries of Buncombe County.
I can tell you now: drugs and alcohol are no excuse for rape. There are no excuses for rape. Period.
I hope that these rapey Tourist players get the life sentence. At least the Rockies suspended them indefinitely.
60 troops axed by Defense Secretary Hagel after rape review
WASHINGTON — The Department of Defense today said that sixty troops that were in charge of various sexual assault programs in the military were ousted from their jobs.
Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered that the records of recruiters and sexual assault counselors be examined with a fine tooth comb on May 17. The Pentagon’s report in May that estimated 26,000 troops had been sexually assaulted in 2012, a 35% increase since 2010, with offenses ranging from groping to rape was what brought about the directive. Army Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has called sexual assault in the military a crisis.
The records of at least 35,000 troops have been screened or are under review.
Each of the services appears to have interpreted Secretary Hagel’s directive differently. The US Marines screened recruiters, for example, against a public database, while the US Army considered criminal records for sexual assault, child abuse and alcohol-related offenses.
The Army suspended 55 soldiers and more suspensions are likely by the time they are done screening 20,000 recruiters, sexual-assault counselors and drill instructors on September 28.
The Navy disqualified a trio of 5,125 recruiters it reviewed, and a couple of 4,739 counselors. Eight hundred sixty nine (869) recruit instructors had their records reviewed; none of them was disqualified.
The Air Force reported no airmen were disqualified but an overall number was not reported. The Marines screened its recruiters against the National Sex Offenders Public website, according to a memo, and found no matches. About 6,000 Marine recruiters were screened.
Several rape scandals since May have surfaced. Among those were the rapey brochure at Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter; the arrests of three football players at Navy for raping a Midshipwoman; the arrest of a Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office in May after police said he drunkenly groped a woman outside a bar not far from the Pentagon; and sexual assaults at Fort Carson, Colo. and Fort Hood, Texas.
This is just the beginning. We need to pressure the military to end their rape culture.
Bei Bei Shuai freed after being illegally prosecuted for murder while pregnant
INDIANAPOLIS — Finally, some good news about an Indiana woman who was illegally prosecuted after she was attempting suicide by drinking rat poison.
Bei Bei Shuai was freed after prosecutors dropped the murder and feticide charges against her. She is expected to only plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge of criminal recklessness.
She will be given credit for time served while she was in jail awaiting a bond hearing, which is 178 days.
It is totally outrageous that she was charged in the first place for murder and feticide. More proof that fetal homicide laws are not about protecting women, such laws — like all anti-choice laws — are all about taking away women’s fundamental health care rights.