Man kills ex-wife, self in murder-suicide

by jovan1984

Man kills ex, himself

AUGUSTA, GA — A woman was found dead at her residence and her ex-husband was found dead two counties away.

A second woman was also shot, but she is in critical but stable condition.

The deceased people were family members of the second victim.

The dead woman was found at her home in Augusta-Richmond County.  The suspect, Cedric Tobias Harris, 31, was found dead in McDuffie County of a self-inflicted wound to the face.

[WJBF-DT News Channel 6]

Hospital security officer mows down wife with AR-15, shoots at two others

IVA — A security officer for Anderson Medical Center is now in jail, charged with killing his estranged wife, shooting at another woman and injuring a man.

Garland Major, the captain for the Anderson County Sheriff’s Office, said the couple’s 10-year-old son was present when the shootings happened.  The child was breathless from running when investigators found him outside the home.

Deputies said that the man was carrying an AR-15 and was trying to flee when they apprehended him.

Capt. Major said that the man used the AR-15 to shoot his wife in the head.

She was pronounced dead immediately.

The man then hunted down two others with the AR-15 and shot at them, injuring a man.

The male victim was taken to Greenville Memorial for surgery and treatment.

The surviving female victim was uninjured.

The deceased victim had an order of protection against the suspect in 2011 after the suspect was charged with criminal domestic violence.

Victims advocates are working with the murder victim’s family.

Robert John Hurl, 44, was arrested by the Anderson County Sheriff’s Office and charged with murder, two counts of attempted murder, unlawful conduct toward a child and possessing a firearm during the commission of a violent crime. Mr. Hurl was denied bond earlier today and remains incarcerated at the Anderson County Detention Center.

[WYFF-DT News 4]

Two convicted of raping and robbing girl after 2009 homecoming dance

RICHMOND, CA — Two men were convicted simultaneously by two different juries on Thursday of raping and robbing a Richmond High School Class of 2012 graduate after her homecoming dance in October 2009.

This case will be remembered for 21 boys and men who stood idly by, watched and did nothing to stop the now-adult woman who was raped for 150 minutes as a 15-year-old girl on October 23, 2009.  In fact, some of those who watched actually participated in raping the victim.

Contra Costa County Superior Court Judge Barbara Zuniga led off by reading the guilty verdict for Pinole resident Marcelles Peter, 20. The jury found him guilty on all counts, including the robbery.

Mr. Peter was dressed in a blue-striped collared shirt and tie. His lawyer put his arm around him as the guilty verdicts were read. His mother wept.

Next up, Judge Zuniga read of the guilty verdict for 22-year-old Jose Montano, of Richmond. He was also found guilty of all three counts he faced.

John Cope, one of the two prosecutors, called the verdicts an important and appropriate outcome for some horrendous crimes.

The case is very unusual, because there were two different juries in the same courtroom trying the defendants at the same time separately. Although the 24 of them travelled together, they split off at the courtroom, deliberating the verdicts in their assigned cases.

Police received a 911 call that night and found the-then 15-year-old girl (now 19-year-old woman) comatose with head trauma, burns, hypothermia and a near-fatal 0.35 percent blood-alcohol level, according to the two prosecutors.

The two men on trial at this time were tried on charges of rape in concert, oral copulation in concert and sexual penetration with a foreign object in concert, along with special allegations of inflicting great bodily injury on the victim. They are the first duo of a sextet of men jailed for their alleged roles in the incident, which also included aggravated robbery.

The penalty phase of the trial begins on August 15.

[NBC News]